- Start: Saturday 17 February - 09:00
- Estimated End: Saturday 17 February - 12:00
- Auditorium: EW Dance Studio 2
(includes tea/coffee and day entry to the unravel festival)
with Hanna Maciejewska
Do you love the clean tailored finish of a set-in sleeve, but are not overly enthusiastic of seaming? Or maybe you are just tired of knitting sweaters that don’t quite fit your body?
Why not knit a SEAMLESS top-down sweater with set-in sleeves instead?! This type of sweater can be tried on while you knit, and necessary alterations to assure the best possible fit can be incorporated on the spot at any time.
In this workshop, you will learn in step-by-step format how to knit a basic top-down sweater featuring set-in sleeves:
– how to measure yourself, swatch and match gauge;
– how to provisionally cast on sts and place them on the needles;
– how to join individual sweater sections without any seaming;
– how to shape the neckline, armholes, and waistline, and how to modify to ensure the best possible fit;
– how to use short rows to shape the sleeve caps;
– how to customize basic sweater patterns to create your own unique design;
We will practice on a real doll-size sweater!
Level / Ability
Participants need to be able to knit and purl, cast on and cast off, increase and decrease.
For this class, you will need:
• Approx. 200 yards (180 meters) of worsted weight yarn and appropriate circular needles 24″ [60 cm] long
• A crochet hook, piece of waste yarn and 4 stitch markers
• A flexible measuring tape
• A pencil and notebook
Hanna’s grandmother taught her how to knit when she was a little girl. She knitted sweaters all the time in school — all her own creations — but only a few years ago realized that knitting and designing knitwear is truly her biggest passion.
Since there are countless new ideas in her head at any given time, she prefers to construct her garments and accessories as smartly and seamlessly as possible to save time on finishing and move on to the next idea. Nature and time spent in her garden provide Hanna with an abundance of inspiration, giving impressions and memories to draw upon later.
Hanna is also the proud mother of a beautiful girl who sometimes draws things for her to knit. Find Hanna at hadaknits.com or on Ravelry as hada131.
For full tutor and exhibitor listings and all festival info, please visit the craft maltings site.